Table of Contents
Top 16 global marketing trends of 2023
As new technologies and AI revolutionize eCommerce, marketers worldwide are bracing for impact. In the face of emerging trends and potential risks, being prepared isn’t just advisable—it’s imperative.
This comprehensive article deciphers 16 eCommerce global marketing trends, outlines the imminent threats in the AI era, and equips you with a bonus tip to future-proof your strategy. Navigate the digital frontier with confidence.
Since you are reading this, you might be interested in our popular article:
1. Global Advertising Trends: Long-Term Influencer-Brand Relationships
Influencer marketing is changing quickly because it’s an effective way to attract new audiences and get the word out.
However, in 2023, there’s a shift on the horizon in global advertising trends. There will be less short-term, one-time campaigns. Harvard Business Review stated that brands and influencers will work to build more long-term relationships (check the source article Why brands need to pivot to long-term influencer partnerships). This will be good for both parties.
But why is this transformation necessary? Well, there are several limitations that must be addressed.
- Cost: Hiring influencers is expensive, especially for big names with a large following.
- Authenticity: Some influencers are not genuine in their endorsement. This affects the brand’s credibility.
- Relevance: If a company picks the wrong influencer, it will reach people who don’t care about the brand, which will lessen its effect..
- Measuring success: It’s difficult to measure an influencer marketing campaign success.
- Audience loss: Brands risk losing followers if they only focus on influencer marketing.
- Regulation: Influencer marketing is subject to strict regulations and disclosure requirements. Brands must be careful to comply with laws.
Based on the emerging global advertising trends, apply the suggested changes to your global advertising strategy – get to know influencers on a more personal level. You’ll be able to create more engaging, relatable content that will hit home with your targeted audience.
2. Live Streaming and Video-based Content
People are watching more live streaming and videos, and this trend will keep going in 2023. In the year 2022, about 66% of marketers used live-streamed videos.
Use video format to connect with audience in real-time and create a more personal and engaging experience.
Live streaming is a dynamic and interactive way to reach an audience, whether it’s for a product demo or a Q&A session.
Use tools such as:
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Final Cut Pro
- Davinci Resolve
3. Emerging Trends In Global Marketing: User-Generated Content (UGC)
UGC is new powerful marketing tool in the emerging trends in global marketing.
UGC (User-Generated Content) refers to any content—text, videos, images, reviews, etc.—created by consumers. Companies leverage UGC for its authenticity and ability to engage other users. From social media posts to customer reviews, UGC is integral to digital marketing and eCommerce strategies. It builds trust and credibility by getting customers to share experiences and thoughts about a product or brand.
For instance, eCommerce store owners use Trackmage to collect feedback from customers. They then post those feedback on social media as UGC. To learn how to gather feedback, check our ultimate eCommerce Survey Guide.
Based on Forbs article Why is user generated content winning, in 2023, brands should focus on using user-generated content in marketing campaigns. They create a more personal connection with audiences.
Following the 2023 emerging trends in global marketing, here are several strategies to encourage and make the most of User-Generated Content (UGC):
- Encourage Reviews and Ratings: Make it easy for customers to leave reviews or ratings on your products. Highlight these on your website and social media platforms.
- Create Branded Hashtags: Develop unique hashtags related to your brand or specific campaigns. Encourage customers to use these when they post about your products on social media.
- Hold Contests: Run contests that ask users to create content related to your brand or products.
- Showcase User Content: Regularly feature user-generated content on your platforms to generate more UGC and build trust, as it shows real people using and enjoying your products.
- Create a Community: Foster a sense of community around your brand. Introduce branded forum, a Facebook group, or any other platform encouraging discussions and sharing among your customers.
4. Global Content Marketing Trends: New Targeting Solutions With Cookies
Marketing technology is constantly evolving. 2023 brought new and innovative targeting solutions. Brands reach the right audience at the right time with the right message using data-driven targeting. So far, website cookies have played the biggest role.
Cookies are small text files stored on computers and mobiles by websites you visit. They’re used to remember information about you, like your browsing history, location, language preferences, or items in your shopping cart. There are different types of cookies, including session cookies, which expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which stay on your device until they’re manually deleted or reach their expiration date.
Cookies are essential in global content marketing trends for several reasons:
- Personalization: Cookies help tailor user experiences by storing preferences and behavior patterns. They can help display personalized content, ensuring relevance and increasing engagement.
- Targeted Advertising: Cookies allow businesses to display targeted ads based on users’ browsing history, improving ad effectiveness.
- A/B Testing: Cookies can facilitate A/B testing of different marketing strategies by segmenting the audience and tracking their responses.
Privacy concerns and regulations like GDPR have initiated a shift towards cookie-less
Examples of parameters you should use for data-driven targeting include:
- Demographic information: age, gender, income, education level, occupation, etc.
- Location: geographic location, IP address, or device-based information
- Behavioral data: website browsing history, purchase history, engagement with previous marketing campaigns, etc.
- Interests: topics, hobbies, or activities that the target audience is interested in
- Online activity: search history, social media activity, and online behaviors
marketing, making it a trending topic in global content marketing.
Cookies make marketing campaigns more effective and efficient, which leads to more conversions in the end.
5. New Trends In Global Marketing: Agile Marketing
Agile marketing is a method of working that emphasizes flexibility and adaptability.
Agile marketing is a strategic approach derived from the concept of Agile development in software engineering. It involves a team working in short, iterative project cycles, known as “sprints”, to quickly react to changes in the market, the competitive landscape, or customer behaviors.
As a part of new trends in global marketing, Agile marketing is becoming increasingly popular because of its adaptability, speed, and customer-centric focus. It allows businesses to shift their marketing strategies quickly and effectively in response to real-time data and analytics.
- fosters experimentation,
- promotes cross-functional collaboration,
- reduces waste by focusing on high-value projects,
- enhances the ability to respond to fast-paced changes in new trends in global marketing.
In 2023, should adopt an agile marketing approach to keep pace your competitors and growing customers’ expectations.
With this method, you can try out, change, and improve marketing plans in real time.
6. Global Trends In Consumer Behavior: Omnichannel Experiences
The global consumer landscape is rapidly evolving, with omnichannel experiences becoming dominant. Today’s consumers expect seamless brand interaction across multiple touchpoints – online and offline. The global trend in consumer behavior is not limited to purchasing alone; it includes research, comparison, purchase, customer service, and post-purchase marketing and engagement.
Improving the omnichannel customer experience in response to global consumer behavior trends involves several key steps you should follow:
- Integration of Channels: Ensure your customers can interact with your brand consistently across all channels, including your website, social media, physical store, or customer service.
- Personalization: Use data analytics to understand your customers and offer personalized experiences. Tailored product recommendations and communication improve customer engagement and loyalty.
- Unified Data: Implement a unified data system that tracks customer interactions across all channels.
- Mobile Optimization: With the rise of mobile shopping, develop your website and apps to provide a seamless, user-friendly experience.
- Seamless Transition: Ensure that customers can switch channels mid-transaction without any friction. For example, they should be able to add items to their cart on mobile and complete the purchase on a desktop.
- Customer Support: Offer quality customer service across all channels. An omnichannel chatbot or a 24/7 customer service line resolves issues quickly.
As geographical borders blur in the digital age, the rise of this ‘omnichannel consumer’ is reshaping strategies globally. Companies that deliver a consistent, personalized, and efficient omnichannel experience are reaping significant benefits from global trends in consumer behavior.
Focus on creating cohesive omnichannel customer experiences across all touchpoints. Give your customers a better and more memorable experience, and make them more loyal and involved.
7. Global Digital Marketing Trends: Improved UX on Mobiles and Assistive Technology
More people use multiple devices throughout the day. Assure your website and marketing materials work well on all. Since 2022. over 55% of all internet traffic happens on mobiles. Here are benefits for you:
- Improved Customer Satisfaction: Browsing your site shouldn’t leave a bitter taste in your visitor’s mouth. Make your website user-friendly for all screens.
- Increased Traffic: A mobile-friendly content increases the number of visitors to your website.
- Better Search Engine Rankings: Search engines prefer mobile-friendly websites in search results.
- Enhanced Engagement: Mobile-friendly content is optimized for smaller screens and touch-based navigation. It’s easier for people to interact with your content and do what you want.
- Increased Conversion Rates: Users are more likely to fill out a form or purchase on a well-designed mobile website.
- Better Accessibility: Make your content mobile-friendly to ease access and usability for people with disabilities. They may use assistive technology* on their phones.
*Assistive technology refers to devices, software, or equipment that help people with disabilities perform tasks they might otherwise find difficult or impossible to complete. This technology enhances the functional independence of persons with physical, sensory, communication, or cognitive disabilities.
Examples of assistive technology in the digital world are:
1. Screen Readers
2. Braille Terminals
3. Voice Recognition Software
5. Hearing Aids
6. Augmentative and Alternative Communication Devices
As an eCommerce owner, following global digital marketing trends is fundamental. First, prioritize improving mobile user experience. With the majority of consumers browsing and shopping via smartphones, a seamless, user-friendly mobile interface is a new reality.
The second must-to-follow global digital marketing trend is to incorporate assistive technology into your platform. Deliver accessibility for all users, promoting inclusivity and broadening your market reach. You can stay ahead in the competitive eCommerce landscape by aligning with these trends.
8. Voice search tactics for SEO
Voice search is becoming more and more popular. Optimize your website and content for voice search to ensure that they are easily discoverable. Your site will pop up when people search for products or services using voice assistants like Siri or Alexa.
To optimize content for voice search, focus on using natural, conversational language. You should also address common questions in your industry. Use long-tail keywords, structured data, and local SEO strategies. You should see an improvement in the visibility of content in voice search results.
9. 2023 Global Marketing Trends: Conversational Chatbots for Improved Customer Experience
Among the 2023 global marketing trends, conversational chatbots stand out as a transformative tool for customer experience (based on Statista, in 2025. the size of the chatbot market will increase 700% from 2016).
Chatbots operate around the clock, answering queries and providing assistance instantly, improving response time significantly. AI-driven interfaces engage with customers in human-like conversations, enhancing personalized interaction.
In line with 2023 global marketing trends, businesses leverage chatbots beyond customer service tools. They use them for product recommendations, direct purchases, and even after-sales services. The convenience and efficiency offered by chatbots align with the customer’s growing expectations for seamless, immediate service.
To leverage the 2023 global marketing trend of conversational chatbots:
- Integrate them into your customer service strategy.
- Use chatbots to offer round-the-clock support, answering common queries instantly.
- Deploy them for personalized product recommendations based on customer preferences.
- Utilize chatbots for transaction processes to simplify direct purchases.
- Continually improve and update your chatbot’s capabilities to understand complex queries and deliver more personalized responses, enhancing your customer’s experience.
As per 2023 global marketing trends, chatbots are set to become even more sophisticated, understanding complex queries and delivering more personalized responses. Thus, businesses harnessing chatbot technology will gain a competitive edge in customer experience.
Focus on personalizing and speeding up customer service with eCommerce growth strategy. Build trust and loyalty with shoppers, and you’ll increase conversions.
10. Global Consumer Behavior Trends: Interactive Content for Traffic Boost
Interactive content, as one of the global consumer behavior trends, requires the participants’ active engagement beyond simply reading, watching, or listening. It stimulates user interaction, promotes engagement, and provides personalized experiences.
Examples of interactive content are:
- Quizzes and polls
- Interactive infographics
- Calculators and configurators
- Virtual and augmented reality experiences
- Interactive videos
Global consumer behavior trends indicate that interactive content significantly enhances user experience, providing more value and driving higher engagement and conversion rates. Utilize listed tools and bring traffic to your eCommerce store.
Think about making interactive content that gives people a fun and unique experience. It should also gather important data that can be used to improve future marketing plans.
11. VR-based Tools and Apps
Virtual Reality (VR) is a technology that creates an immersive, computer-generated experience. It lets users feel like they are in a different environment, as if they were actually there. This technology is often used in video games, but it can also be used in industries such as real estate, education, and health care. VR gives users a unique and interactive experience.
Virtual Reality (VR) based tools and apps, emerging on the global marketing scene in the mid-2010s, have revolutionized how businesses interact with consumers. With immersive experiences, VR transports users into lifelike digital environments, offering an innovative and engaging way to showcase products or services.
As an eCommerce owner, you should utilize VR to enhance the online shopping experience. Offering virtual showrooms or 3D product demos help customers better visualize purchases, increasing conversion. VR provides an avenue for interactive and personalized shopping experiences, setting your business apart in a crowded marketplace.
VR technology also has the potential to be used in training and education, as well as for entertainment purposes. Consider using it to train customer service reps, sales teams and other employees.
Future global marketing trends suggest VR’s prominence will continue to grow. We expect to see more realistic simulations, increased mobile VR usage, and even VR social shopping experiences as technology advances. These global marketing trends hint at a future where VR is integral to online consumer interaction, making it a worthy investment for forward-thinking eCommerce owners.
12. Ecommerce Market Trends 2023: AI for Better Trendspotting
In the ecommerce market trends 2023, Artificial Intelligence (AI) for better trendspotting holds a prominent position. AI-driven algorithms analyze large volumes of data, tracking user behavior, and spotting purchasing patterns, giving ecommerce businesses an edge in predicting upcoming trends.
AI helps marketers do the following tasks:
- find trends
- predict how customers will act
- make decisions based on data
- improve marketing strategies
Through advanced big data analysis, AI can accurately forecast which products will become popular, ensuring your business stays ahead of the curve. As one of the dominant ecommerce market trends in 2023, AI is not just about trendspotting but also about personalization. AI can tailor product recommendations to individual customers, enhancing their shopping experience and increasing the likelihood of purchases.
In conclusion, harnessing the power of AI for trendspotting and personalization will play a pivotal role in the success of ecommerce businesses in 2023.
IMPORTANT: AI is Not a Magic Wand
Never trust it fully. When using AI for better trendspotting in eCommerce, you should consider the following:
- Data Quality: The accuracy of AI’s predictions depends largely on the data quality. Ensure your data is clean, relevant, and up-to-date.
- Privacy Regulations: When collecting and analyzing data, you must comply with privacy laws such as GDPR. Ensure you have explicit permission to use customer data and protect that data appropriately.
- Interpretation of Results: While AI can identify trends, human interpretation is often needed to understand the context and nuances behind these trends. Have a team capable of translating AI findings into actionable strategies.
- Reliance on AI: Don’t solely rely on AI. It’s a tool that should complement, not replace, other trendspotting methods like market research and customer feedback.
- Continuous Learning and Updating: AI models must be continually trained and updated with fresh data to remain effective, as market trends and consumer behavior constantly change.
By being mindful of these aspects, you can effectively use AI for trendspotting in your eCommerce business.
13. Recent Trends In Global Marketing: Incorporating the Internet of Things (IoT)
The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the network of physical devices – like home appliances, vehicles, or wearable devices – connected to the Internet, capable of exchanging data and interacting over networks. These “smart” devices collect and share data and can often be remotely monitored or controlled.
In the context of recent trends in global marketing, the IoT plays a significant role in several ways:
- Data Collection and Analysis: IoT devices generate massive data about user behaviors, preferences, and interactions. This data can give marketers valuable insights, allowing them to tailor their marketing strategies and offer personalized customer experiences.
- Customer Engagement and Experience: IoT devices can interact with consumers in real time, providing personalized and contextually relevant marketing messages. For instance, a smart refrigerator could suggest recipes based on its contents and then recommend related products or shopping lists.
- New Marketing Channels: The IoT opens up new marketing channels. For example, wearable devices provide health or fitness-related marketing opportunities, while smart home devices could be leveraged for home product marketing.
- Product Development and Innovation: Insights gained from IoT data can guide businesses in creating new products or improving existing ones based on user behaviors and needs.
As the IoT continues to grow, it is expected to significantly shape the future of global marketing by driving personalization, real-time marketing efforts, and customer-centric product development.
To leverage the Internet of Things (IoT) and boost online sales, consider the following strategies:
- Data Utilization: Use data from IoT devices to understand customer behavior, preferences, and needs, then tailor your offerings and marketing campaigns accordingly.
- Personalization: Leverage real-time data from IoT devices to offer personalized product recommendations and targeted promotions.
- Improve User Experience: Integrate IoT into your customer’s buying journey. For instance, use smart devices to make your product usage easier or offer seamless automatic reordering of consumables through connected devices.
- Product Development: Use IoT data insights to improve your products, creating items that better meet customer needs or solve customer problems.
- Post-Sale Engagement: Use IoT connectivity to offer superior post-sale service and engage customers, increasing their lifetime value.
In conclusion, the application of IoT in eCommerce is quickly becoming one of the most impactful recent trends in global marketing. By effectively leveraging IoT, businesses offer more personalized and efficient shopping experiences, increasing customer engagement and boosting online sales.
14. Global Market Trends: Emphasis on Social Responsibility and Reputation
Social responsibility refers to the ethical obligation of businesses to operate in a way that benefits society at large. It includes economic, social, and environmental responsibilities.
Global market trends show that today’s consumers are aware of the impact of purchasing decisions due to increased access to information and heightened awareness of global issues. Shoppers consider product quality and price, the company’s ethics, sustainability practices, and social impact. Consequently, businesses demonstrating social responsibility are more likely to earn consumer trust and loyalty.
Consumers are becoming more aware of the impact of purchasing decisions. Hence, they are looking for brands that align with beliefs and values.
Companies that put social responsibility first will drastically improve brand image and customer loyalty. Those who don’t will face a PR nightmare, numerous common complaints and growing churn rates.
That’s why these days, it’s not uncommon to see companies that do the following:
- Support important causes
- Use environmentally friendly practices
- Treat employees fairly and with respect
- Act ethically in business dealings
Social responsibility became a significant trend in the global market around the late 20th and early 21st century. The trend has significantly accelerated in the past decade, with the advent of social media and increasing attention on issues like climate change, fair trade, labor rights, and inclusivity. By 2021, corporate social responsibility was firmly established as a key component of global market trends.
Perform competitive analysis and establish what your fiercest rivals do. Design your growth strategy, including social responsibility as integral to your rebranding endeavor.
15. International Market Trends: Representation and Inclusivity in eCommerce
Representation and inclusivity in eCommerce refer to ensuring that all individuals, regardless of race, gender, age, ability, or other identifying factors, feel seen, valued, and catered to by a business.
Representation generally involves depicting diverse groups of people in advertising and marketing materials. For example, using models of various races, body types, ages, abilities, and genders in product photos and promotions ensures that many customers can see themselves in the brand’s imagery.
Inclusivity, on the other hand, goes beyond representation to encompass the products and services offered and the overall user experience. Offering products that cater to a wide range of needs, making websites accessible to people with disabilities, or creating marketing messages that respect and celebrate differences are growing practices in eCommerce.
As we navigate international market trends, a crucial shift is the increasing emphasis on representation and inclusivity in eCommerce. The shift reflects a diverse global consumer base regarding race, gender, age, and ability. Businesses adapt marketing strategies to showcase diverse models, inclusive products, and universally accessible websites.
International market trends foster a sense of belonging among consumers and expand market reach by catering to underrepresented groups. As societal values evolve, representation and inclusivity will become expectations in the eCommerce industry, reshaping international market dynamics.
Brands are recognizing the importance of representation and inclusivity in their marketing efforts. Companies are working to make the world a place where everyone feels welcome and included.
To embrace representation and inclusivity in your eCommerce business:
- Ensure your marketing materials feature diverse individuals.
- Cater your products to a broad customer base and make your website accessible to all, including people with disabilities.
- Use respectful language that acknowledges diversity.
- Continually seek feedback from diverse customers.
By doing this, your business can offer an inclusive shopping experience and appeal to a larger market, aligning with international trends.
16. Emphasis on consumer privacy
With the increasing amount of data being collected by companies, consumer privacy is becoming a major concern.
Companies must prioritize protecting their customers’ personal information. They should also be transparent about how they are using that information.
By doing this, they can gain the trust of their customers and keep their good name.
Bonus Tip: B2B Growth Marketing Trends 2023 and Why Your Future Lies There
Due to Forbs article Five B2B eCommerce Trends to Watch, McKinsey forecasts that online sales will account for 31% of total B2B sales by 2024, up from 20%. Based on other statistical data we explored while writing this article, all B2B marketing trends show steady growth for the next 5-10 years.
Secondly, online sales are shifting from small eCommerce websites to industry giants such as Amazon, Etsy, eBay, and local web marketplaces. The key to your survival is B2B marketing.
What does it mean, and why does it matter? If you already didn’t include targeted marketing efforts of selling to other businesses, you should do it immediately.
There are five major benefits to selling to other companies.
- B2B transactions typically involve larger order volumes, which can substantially increase your average order value and overall revenue.
- B2B clients often reorder, leading to recurring revenue and improved cash flow stability.
- Companies are more loyal buyers once they find a vendor that meets their needs, reducing customer churn and marketing costs.
- Operating in the B2B space can enhance your brand’s reputation, as businesses often seek partnerships with well-established, credible providers.
- Selling to businesses often involves less seasonality compared to B2C, reducing the impact of sales fluctuations and enabling more accurate financial forecasting.
How to switch your focus to B2B marketing and sales
- Define Your B2B Target Audience: Unlike B2C, B2B audiences often involve multiple decision-makers within a company. Understand their roles and the company’s needs.
- Revamp Your Product/Service Offering: B2B offerings often involve bulk pricing, long-term contracts, or custom solutions tailored to businesses.
- B2B Sales Process Adaptation: The B2B sales process often involves longer sales cycles and nurturing relationships with multiple stakeholders in a company.
- B2B Content Marketing: Create content that solves business problems, establishing your brand as an industry expert.
- B2B Marketing Channels: Utilize B2B-specific marketing channels, such as LinkedIn, industry webinars, trade publications, and B2B marketplaces.
- Networking and B2B Partnerships: Build relationships at industry events, through business associations, and strategic partnerships, which are essential for B2B success.
- B2B Customer Service and Support: B2B customers often require more detailed, personalized, and technical support than B2C customers.
- B2B Metrics Measurement: Use B2B-specific key performance indicators (KPIs), like lead conversion rates and customer lifetime value, and adjust your strategies based on these metrics.
Focusing on B2B Marketing Trends 2023 will unlock a plethora of opportunities. It will result in substantial cost savings due to economies of scale, facilitate access to larger markets, and promote stronger business relationships. By targeting businesses, you will cultivate long-term relationships that translate into recurring revenue, thereby enhancing the stability of your enterprise. Adjust your strategy to B2B Marketing Trends 2023 and secure your eCommerce success.
16 (+1) marketing trends are shaping the future of the industry and are important to know about as we head into future.
Incorporate global marketing trends into your eCommerce marketing strategies to stay ahead of the curve and improve your chances of success.