Table of Contents
Post Purchase Marketing Strategies for Maximizing Sales and Profit
Are you solely focused on acquiring new customers? If so, you’re missing out on a massive opportunity for growth and success. Post-purchase marketing is a crucial factor that will make or break your business. You’re putting your business at risk if you neglect the potential revenue from existing customers through upselling, cross-selling, and repeat purchases.
Don’t let your competitors outrank you because they utilize post-purchase power.
It’s time to dig deeper into post-purchase opportunities.
In this article, we will explore the alarming consequences of ignoring post-purchase marketing and the strategies you can use to avoid common mistakes and maximize the potential of eCommerce email flows.
What Does Post Purchase Mean?
Post-purchase is the phase of a customer’s journey after purchasing. Post-purchase is an opportunity to increase revenue and build customer loyalty by utilizing proven strategies like upselling, cross-selling, and repeat purchases.
If you want to keep your customers happy and coming back for more, paying attention to post-purchase opportunities is crucial. By providing excellent customer service and utilizing post-purchase power, you can turn one-time buyers into loyal customers who will keep your business booming!
Here are eCommerce latest statistics and case studies showing how powerful the post purchase is.
You can find all relevant eCommerce latest statistical data and trends in our article eCommerce Statistics: A Guide to the Latest Industry Data. In addition, you might find very useful our UpSell Checklist for CX Managers.
10 Post Purchase Big Data Analysis Statistics
To show you the power of post purchase, we give you some recent big data analysis based on real-world practices.
- According to a study by Zendesk, companies with an effective post-purchase process experience 29% fewer customer complaints than those with a less effective process.
- According to a report by the Institute of Customer Service, customers who experience problems during the post-purchase process are more likely to complain than those who do not. The report found that 23% of customers who have experienced problems during the post-purchase process are likely to complain, compared to only 9% of those who have not.
- A report by Epsilon found that customers who receive post-purchase follow-up are 50% more likely to make another purchase.
- The same report by Epsilon revealed that customers who receive email marketing after a purchase spend an average of 138% more than those who don’t receive any.
- A report by Forrester found that companies that prioritize customer experience grow revenue four to eight times faster than those that don’t, further emphasizing the crucial role of post-purchase engagement in creating a positive customer experience.
- A report by Invesp showed that repeat customers generate 40% of a store’s revenue, highlighting the importance of post-purchase engagement in building customer loyalty and retention.
- A study by Accenture found that 61% of consumers are more likely to recommend a brand after a positive post-purchase experience.
- A study by HubSpot revealed that personalized follow-up emails after a purchase resulted in a 29% increase in sales.
- A survey by Ipsos showed that 75% of customers are more likely to buy from a company that recognizes them by name, highlighting the importance of personalization in post-purchase communication.
- According to a study by Salesforce, 64% of consumers expect companies to interact with them without delay after making a purchase.
- In an online survey by Narvar, 95% of customers said they would buy from a retailer again if they had a positive post-purchase experience.
- Analysis by Bain and Company found that increasing customer retention rates by just 5% can boost profits by 25% to 95%, emphasizing the significance of post-purchase engagement in driving eCommerce business growth.
Post-Purchase Marketing: Trends and Best Practices
Post-purchase marketing has become integral to eCommerce businesses seeking to maximize revenue and build customer loyalty. With the rise of new technologies and changing customer behavior, it’s essential for businesses to keep up with the latest post-purchase marketing trends and best practices.
Post-Purchase Marketing Trends
One of the most significant trends in post-purchase marketing is the use of personalized, data-driven methods. You should develop an omnichannel experience marketing strategy and lounche campaigns based on individual preferences and needs. To do so, gather data about customer purchase history and behavior, analyze them, explore competition, and plan your next steps.
Here are five important post-purchase marketing trends you should watch for and incorporate into your eCommerce growth strategy:
- Personalization: Personalized post-purchase marketing campaigns will increase customer engagement and conversion rates. You can create personalized campaigns that cater to individual preferences and needs by analyzing your customer data.
- Automated emails: Automated email campaigns engage customers after purchase and provide a more personalized experience. You can send emails with eCommerce product reviews, recommendations, discounts, and other relevant information based on your customer’s data and behavior. To speed up the process, we recommend using the best successful upsell email templates we created and tested for you.
- Shipment tracking: Providing automated shipment tracking information will enhance the customer experience and reduce anxiety around delivery times. Make sure to provide real-time updates on the shipment status, including tracking numbers and expected delivery dates.
- Subscription-based models: Subscription-based models will encourage repeat purchases and provide a steady revenue stream for you.
- User-generated content: User-generated content such as reviews, photos, and social media posts builds social proof and enhances your brand’s reputation. Encourage your customers to leave reviews and share their experiences on social media.
Post purchase Marketing Best Practices
Here are 8 post-purchase marketing best practices that are important for your eCommerce business:
- Follow-up with customers: Sending a follow-up email to customers after they purchase will build loyalty and encourage repeat purchases by up to 50%.
- Personalize the experience: Use customer data to personalize your marketing messages, suggesting related products or reminding potential buyers of items left in their cart. This tactic decreases the cart abandonment rate by up to 40%.
- Encourage reviews: Ask for reviews post-purchase to build social proof and show potential customers the value of your products. It’s proven that the more positive reviews you have, the higher the sale. Online shoppers trust other buyers and consider reviews to be the most significant factor in purchase decisions.
- Upsell and cross-sell: Suggest similar or complementary items to customers to increase the average order value and encourage repeat purchases.
- Create referral programs: Encourage customers to refer their friends and family to your store by offering rewards and incentives.
- Provide excellent customer service: Offer exceptional post-purchase support, handling issues and concerns quickly and providing delivery updates and tracking information. If you can’t organize 24/7 professional support, outsource customer experience services -the pros are much greater than the cons.
- Celebrate milestones: Recognize customer milestones, such as birthdays or special events, with personalized messages or promotions to build a deeper connection with your customer base.
- Send post purchase surveys: Post purchase survey questions are a valuable tool to gather feedback on the customer experience and identify areas for improvement. To learn how to conduct successful customer screenings, grab our eCommerce Surveys Guide.
Implement suggested post-purchase marketing best practices in your eCommerce business, and you’ll drive repeat business, build a loyal customer base, and drive growth over time. We’ll explore more of the listed best practices to help you implement them quickly and smoothly.
Post Purchase Engagement: How to Leverage It to Drive Repeat Purchases
Integrating post purchase marketing into your customer experience ecosystem will boost your sales and increase buyers’ loyalty. Post purchase engagement consists of your actions after your customer finishes checkout. If you are introducing the concept into your strategy, we recommend starting with 1-3 possible options. If you introduce them all at once, none would be effective.
To embrace post purchase marketing fully, consider using the newest technological achievements, such as automated delivery tracking and customer support, inbound and outbound logistics optimization and automation, up-sell messaging systems, or custom-made CRM software.
Post-Purchase Experience Platform to Make Your Customers Happy
A post-purchase experience platform is a software tool or service that delivers a personalized and engaging customer experience. The platform typically offers a range of features designed to enhance the post-purchase experience, such as:
- order delivery tracking,
- automated email campaigns,
- personalized product recommendations,
- review generators,
- loyalty programs, and
- customer support.
Post-purchase experience platforms are designed for businesses of all sizes, from small eCommerce startups to large enterprises. They include integrations with popular ecommerce platforms, such as Shopify or WooCommerce, and with common marketing tools like Mailchimp or Klaviyo.
A post-purchase experience platform saves time, replacing expensive employees’ hours with automation. Besides generating repeat sales, it allows you and your team to focus on the important stuff. Replace tedious, repetitive tasks with creative challenges to build a steadily growing environment.
Integrate Post Purchase Customer Support and Upsell for Maximum Results
Consider integrating post-purchase customer support and upsell offers to maximize effects and achieve your goals quickly. Here are some reasons why you should consider integrating these two strategies:
- build customer loyalty
- increase revenue
- improve customer satisfaction and experience
- increase repeat sales
- reduce customer churn
- create brand advocacy.
How Does Trackmage Fits Into New Post Purchase Marketing Strategy
Here are seven ways TrackMage can help you integrate post-purchase customer support upsell offers for maximum results:
- Email Campaigns: With TrackMage, you can set up automated email campaigns targeting customers at different post-purchase stages, such as when their order has been shipped or delivered. These emails can include personalized recommendations or upsell offers for complementary products, helping to drive additional revenue.
- Customizable eCommerce Order Tracking Pages: You can create custom tracking pages with TrackMage that include your branding and messaging and helpful information about the product or shipping process. Build trust and credibility with your customers, increasing the likelihood that they will make additional future purchases.
- Customer Support Integrations: TrackMage integrates with popular customer support tools like Gorgias and Zendesk, making it easy to provide exceptional customer support to your customers.
- In-App Messaging: With TrackMage’s in-app messaging feature, you communicate directly with customers while they are tracking their orders, providing them with helpful updates, or answering their questions in real time.
- Feedback Collection: TrackMage allows you to collect customer feedback, helping you identify improvement areas and address any issues or concerns.
- Personalized Recommendations: TrackMage sends personalized product recommendations based on purchase history using data and analytics. Implement this feature to increase the relevance of upsell offers and drive additional revenue.
- Loyalty Programs: With TrackMage’s loyalty program features, you can incentivize repeat purchases and reward loyal customers with discounts or other perks, thus driving customer retention and revenue growth.
Quick Overview and Conclusion
Post-purchase engagement is an interaction between a customer and your eCommerce business after they have purchased. The goal is to
- promote a positive post-purchase experience,
- deepen brand awareness and loyalty,
- entice repeat sales,
- generate positive reviews, shares and word-of-mouth,
- create a community atmosphere.
The ultimate strategy is to foster long-term, beneficial, and highly-profitable relationships with their customers.
Effective post-purchase marketing engagement takes many forms, such as personalized emails, timely customer support, relevant product recommendations, and social media engagement. When done successfully, post-purchase marketing drives growth, builds brand advocates, and stands out in a crowded eCommerce marketplace.